This is a rewording of Manciolio’s sword and buckler material into a standard technical language.
Section 1 – Gioco Largo
The first section is the offensive and defensive plays from the various Guardie outlined by Manciolino, which forms the basis of the plays of Gioco Largo.
- Guardia Alta
- Guardia di Testa
- Guardia di Faccia
- Guardia di Sopra il Braccio
- Guardia di Sotto il Bracchio
- Guardia Porta di Ferro Stretta
- Guardia Porta di Ferro Larga
- Guardia Cingiara Porta di Ferro
- Guardia Coda Lunga Alta
- Guardia Coda Lunga Stretta
- Minor Guardie – Guardia d’Alicorno & Guardia Coda Lunga Larga
Section 2 – Gioco Stretto
The second section is the plays of false edge to false edge and true edge to true edge, which forms the basis of the plays of Gioco Stretto.
Section 3 – The Assalti
The Assalti or progressions are one of the teaching methods used in period, and still used by many Eastern martial arts. The idea is to perform the assault as a method for learning how to flow from one guard to another, reinforcing fundamental actions of the system.